Nobrow / Flying Eye Books are looking for a Managing Editor to join the creative team in our East London offices.
Oversee the creation of books across the team, making sure all books are produced to the quality and accuracy required, and on schedule, in accordance with the company critical path. Project-manage and editorially guide the creation of a number of books.
- Maintain and manage the WIP publishing programme, tracking title schedules and milestones with members of the creative team, ensuring close adherence to the company critical paths
- Chair the weekly WIP meeting with Editorial and Production and follow up on queries
- Ensure book fair and sales conference sales materials are prepared in a timely manner
- Ensure editors’ pre-acq P&Ls are prepared for the mid-point review and take in amendments
- Project-manage a range of books, of appropriate number and complexity
- Project-manage books in partnership with Design and Production, making sure key milestones are kept to and final files are supplied on time
- Liaise and manage 3rd-parties, including packagers, illustrators, authors and other freelance agents that are needed to create a project
- Problem-solve and/or escalate problems in the correct manner and in good time to allow schedules to be hit
- Mentor and instruct the other members of the team and make sure departmental goals are achieved
- Any other adhoc duties as assigned, including maintaining Biblio information and writing information sheets
- Draw up editorial project budgets and P&Ls for approval by the Publishing and Creative Director and negotiate fees with freelance staff
- Attend new acquisitions meetings and relevant sales meetings
- Work with the team to produce appropriate sales material including cover copy, marketing and material for bookfairs
- Communicate Company and Department Goals to the Creative Team
- Assess and implement the Department’s processes, making sure they are robust, up-to-date and fit-for-purpose
- Five years’ minimum experience in an editorial role.Excellent copy-editing, proofreading skills
- Organised, methodical and able to work well under pressure, anticipating and solving problems and managing multiple projects on own initiative and with strict deadlines
- Understands both colour and mono production processes, including experience of working on highly integrated titles, and with excellent understanding of typesetting and typography
- Good interpersonal skills
To apply, please email your CV and covering letter as well as salary expectations to [email protected].
The closing date for this role is 17.05.19