Foreign Rights Manager (7-month maternity cover)
We are seeking a motivated and organised individual to join the Nobrow / Flying Eye Books team in our East London office. This is a full-time, fixed-term contract, starting on 3rd of February. The role is for a rights expert who has a strong interest in children’s and illustrated books to work across our two imprints and be part of our success in this fast-moving, fascinating, international area of our business. We are flexible about level (you could already be an established manager, or you could be a bright senior executive looking for your next challenge).
Key responsibilities and tasks:
- Managing our busy co-edition programme as well as selling translation rights to a wide range of international markets
- Maximising revenue potential, proactively identifying sales opportunities and negotiating rights
- Handling the fulfilment of co-edition printings in your territories including reprints, working closely with our production, editorial and design teams
- Proactively building and nurturing good relationships with existing and potential customers
- Creating and amending contracts for all foreign rights sales, and coordinating their sending and return
- Attending the Bologna and London bookfairs and following up on interests
- Coordinating and gathering rights material, including the Bologna 2020 rights catalogue
- Updating the rights database containing information on all submissions, rejections and licences of our books
- Coordinating the mail-out of foreign copies to authors and illustrators
Key skills, characteristics and capabilities:
- Strong organisational and negotiation skills
- Given the level of the role, you will have proven experience in handling colour titles and fulfilling co-edition printings
- Excellent attention to detail
- The ability to multitask, prioritise and work under pressure
- Great initiative and the ability to work independently
- Strong numeracy skills
- Perfect written and spoken English as well as competence in at least one foreign language – French particularly sought after
- Excellent collaborative and communication skills
- A strong interest in children’s literature and/or graphic novels and comic books
The successful candidate will have the right to live and work in the UK.
To apply, please email your CV, accompanied by a covering letter, along with your salary expectations to Harry Gwinner ([email protected]) with the subject heading Rights Manager.
The closing date for applications is the 12th of November.